Sunday, January 13, 2013

Fandango with fellow brunchies Jovial and Jia Yin!

It was either slaving another week or so trying to work out Adventures of Tour Guide May Part 2 (Part 1 here) or an hour writing about this gorgeous café I tried yesterday. I opted for the latter; I like blogging about a café while it's still fresh in my memory.


Fandango
97 Errol Street, North Melbourne VIC
03 9329 0693
Mon - Sat, 7am - 3pm, Sun, 9am - 2pm
http://www.fandangocafe.com.au/
Fandango on Urbanspoon


The lazy in me would usually take a tram (tram 57, stop 11) but I've recently discovered that walking to (or from) brunch makes you feel a lot better about yourself, especially when you know you are about to (or have had) a deliciously sinful one like the one I did at Fandango.

That, and because Jovial would never not walk unless it takes more than 30 minutes.


The two of them have been here before and they insisted on sitting in the courtyard at the back; it had a real old school, rustic feel to it on top of it was a beautiful day out. The pictures did the weather no justice at all.

We ordered three dishes and shared it all among the three of us. I absolutely LOVE it when people do things that way. It's nice to have your own full portion of a dish sometimes, but I'd rather try a little bit of a few things than a lot of one thing!


Curried Eggs - Indian spiced chicpeas topped with two fried eggs, spicy aubergine pickle, minted yoghurt cheese and warm roti, $17.

I haven't had anything curry in a long time, but this one tasted really good, almost authentic even. I've developed a preference for crunchy roti and that's exactly what I got. As it is with most curries, it was a massive burst of flavour. And yes, I did eat the yolk! In my opinion, a little on the pricey side for a vegetarian dish (though most Indian restaurants would charge about that much for a serving that size).


Pancakes - 3 thick serve pancakes with fruit compote, strawberries, honeyed cream cheese and maple syrup, $15.

Both of them raved about the pancakes, and so did Jeremy, who couldn't make it that morning, before I got to try it; and I was very, very curious. However, we were left a little disappointed because the pancakes were a lot heavier than the last few times they've been there. The taste was good; the honeyed cream cheese was something different too.


Pesto Scrambled Eggs - soft scrambled eggs flavoured with basil, pine nuts, garlic and parmesean (basically, pesto), with a grilled tomato on toasted sourdough - $16, add mushroom +$3

To me, this one was the dish that really got to me. The pesto that flavoured the scrambled eggs was made well - not too salty and parmesean-y, not too much basil, and not too much olive oil. The sourdough was AMAZING - unbelievable crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside - it had the likeness of sourdough that was freshly baked. The mushrooms were well fried as well - buttery and garlicky. 


According to their menu, they've 'got a great love for pickling and bottling fruits, veggies, sauces and preserves'. The items come and go and some are available for you to have with your meal for about $3 a portion, or in jars to buy and take home.

Hey, at least you know their pickled items are homemade.



Cutie patootie tea cosy! I think you'll get it if you order tea but we didn't that morning. At first i didn't see the letter 'F', and I was thinking to myself, 'ANOANCO?? What is that??''. I'm really quite blind.


So happy that I've found fellow brunch addicts/enthusiasts/mayniacs (haha see what I did there), and that we click like bread, peanut butter and jam!

I really liked the comfort I get at Fandango's. Upon reading other blogposts, I'm not the only one who feels that way. The staff and the place makes you feel right at home, and the food there really hits the spot.

Food: 7.5 (better luck next time with those pancakes!) 
Coffee: N/A
Ambience: 8
Value: 7
Staff: 8

How do you guys like the new blogroll on my sidebar? They're the blogs I read from time to time; most of them are foodies, some are healthy recipe/fitness blogs, and others are my friends' blogs! Check em out and if there are any ads, do them a favour and click away!

when violet eyes get brighter
and heavy wings grow lighter
i'll taste the sky and feel alive again,

may.

No comments: