Saturday, November 24, 2012

Breakfast Thieves Stole my Soft Boiled Egg Virginity.

Joshep joined Jason and I for brunch on probably one of the hottest days so far this year. I've heard a lot of good things about this place: It's all over instagram, and all the food blogs that I follow, and I had pretty high expectations.

Breakfast Thieves
Shop 1, 420 Gore Street, Fitzroy VIC
03 9416 4884http://www.breakfastthieves.com.au/
[ tram 86, stop 20 (Rose St (Keele St)/Smith St) ]
Tues - Fri, 7am - 4pm, Sat - Sun, 8am - 4pm

Breakfast Thieves on Urbanspoon


The place was a really short walk away from the tram stop. I think Google maps gave us the wrong directions: according to the map, we were meant to turn left at Rose St/Gore St, but the café was immediately to the right of the intersection. *shrugs.


Of course, brunch on Saturday mid-mornings usually go hand in hand with filled up cafés and waiting lists. We were on the waiting list and it took about 10 minutes before we were seated. 


I was in a bit of a hurry for an appointment (we were already late with the tram delay and the seating delay) so i didn't get any pictures or the treats available, or even a name card. Boo :( The staff members were friendly and cheery as your usual brunch spot café staff would be.


The café was cosy and the area was spacious. What I really didn't fancy was the way the tables were arranged: big tables where more than one group of customers would dine with another. It's not bad; in fact, it's good for big groups but perhaps I wasn't in the mood to listen to other people's conversations that morning. 


Strong latté, $3.80

Beans were from STREAT. It was really good, though Jason has had so much of STREAT's coffee over the exam period (from the STREAT stall in Melbourne Central) that he was really used to the taste.



Charlie's Honest Squeezed Orange Juice, $3.90, Double espresso, $3.50

I didn't feel like having a coffee that morning, so I had orange juice. Joshep had a double espresso and a couple of orange juices to aid his hangover. Tsk tsk. In my opinion, I think Charlie's juices are always pretty good, but just a tad overpriced. 



The Legend, $18 - Spicy baked eggs with Spanish chorizo, roasted mushroom, green peas, spiced tomato ragout and goat's feta with herbed garlic toast.



Both Joshep and Jason ordered the very popular baked eggs dish. I tried a bit of the chorizo and the roasted mushrooms, and it tasted pretty good. They were both really impressed with it, so I'm guessing that's more than enough proof that it's good. Joshep really liked the herb garlic toast, 'It's real garlic!'. It was quite a big dishful of baked eggs too. Jason's only qualm was that it was a little oily.



The Breakfast Chain, $17.50 - Honey baked apple sultana with hazelnut crumble, granola and fruit yoghurt, soft boiled eggs and cheesie toastie soldiers.


The hazelnut crumble was AMAZING. I'm a sucker for any kind of crumble, and this just hit the spot. the apples were soft and juicy and the sultanas were plump. Both Jason and Joshep tried it and they liked it too. The granola and fruit yoghurt was nothing much to shout about, but I did like the fruity bits on top.

/ mini story /

Now, anyone who knows me well enough would know that it's nearly impossible to get me to eat any kind of eggs with runny yolk. It's been a psychological problem that I've had since I was really young, and I've never tried it and I've never intended to. I couldn't even eat a minorly undercooked omelette, or look at runny yolk.

I really have no idea why I decided to go ahead with the soft boiled eggs when they said they couldn't scramble em. Perhaps it's seeing all the people around me enjoying their poached eggs brunch after brunch after brunch, and the feeling of missing out when i come across breakfast items I couldn't order because of the poached eggs.

/ end story /



It really wasn't as bad as I expected. I had no problems putting it into my mouth or stomaching it as I normally would have. It's highly unlikely that I'll have runny yolk eggs it on it's own, but if it's served with excellent cheesie toastie soldiers like that, I think I'll be pretty okay.


We don't look THAT alike.. do we? 


Amen!

Food: 9
Coffee: 7
Ambience: 8
Value: 7
Staff: 7


might've snatched up a second part-time job for the day time! fingers crossed.
may.

No comments: