Wednesday, October 17, 2012

5th time lucky at Badger vs Hawk.

I've attempted to dine here 5 times this week: the first time, I had some coffee here with Iryan and Demie, as early as 9am so the kitchen wasn't open yet, second with Vicky and the gang but we got there when they were packing up, tried for the third time for lunch with Sherwin but he decided he wanted something Asian instead, forth with Jason but it was closed AGAIN, and finally, managed to have lunch there with Jason, Adam and Iryan. 

Badger vs. Hawk
333 La Trobe St, Melbourne VIC
04-6669 9900
https://www.facebook.com/BadgerVsHawk
Mon - Wed, 7.30am - 3pm, Thurs - Fri, 7.30am - 11pm, Sat, 6pm - 11pm.



Badger vs. Hawk on Urbanspoon 


Doesn't the name make you think of Hufflepuff vs. Ravenclaw, or am I the only Harry Potter geek out there?


During the day, you can enter from it's primary entrance on La Trobe street. At night, you'd have to enter via Flanigan Lane, the dodgiest lane I've ever had to walk through at night in Melbourne.




When you walk through the doors, the first thing that comes to your mind would most probably be 'Oh, that's it? Where am I gonna eat my food?' Because really, a massive coffee machine (La Marzocco, of course), a shelf, and a bench is all you see. There wasn't even a kitchen up front!


There's more to this café than meets the eye though. They showed us to the back, where the rest of the café was.




The back part of the café where there's plenty of space and sunlight. If i'm not mistaken, this part of the café is a bar at night on Thursdays to Saturdays.




You can't really tell from this picture, but the kitchen reminded me of food trucks, with the window opening and all.  

That's half of their menu to the right. That's right. All their burgers are $10. Now you know why I was so determined to eat here eh? They do have a few salads, a veggie lasagne and a pork wrap as well. Limited, but sometimes that makes it easier to decide what to eat. 



Long black$3.50, Soy latté, $3.80. (I think.)

(Still trying to figure out the 50mm f1.8.)




The coffee was pretty good. They use beans from Proud Mary and the soy milk was frothed very well. According to Jason, the coffee was leaning towards the sweet side, having a stone fruit sort of aftertaste. 

Personally, I thought it had a good, clean milky taste. Maybe I'd get him to blog about the coffee part of our café adventures from now on since I have no clue what about coffee should I talk about.



Honey and nut slice, $3

About the best slice I've had for a while, though I'm pretty sure I'm biased cause I love anything that tastes like honey. It could've been a bit bigger a slice for $3 though, but that's standard café pricing, I suppose.



Vege lasagne - Napoli grilled eggplant, zucchini, spinach & cheese sauce with a green salad, $13.


Adam had this and it looked so good. I had a small taste and for some strange reason, the tomato-based sauce on top had a coffee aftertaste to it, but I was the only one who tasted it. He kept going on and on and on about how sweet the onions in the salad were, and how the rocket wasn't bitter at all. 



The Badger - beef patty, XXX sauce, aioli, pickles, tomato and cos lettuce, $10, with cheese, +$1.


The XXX sauce was interesting - it looked like ketchup but according to Jason, it tasted a little bit like Jack Daniel sauce. The burger patty was really well grilled: crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. It was clearly freshly made and had a distinct thyme flavour.



The Rudeboy - black bean patty, labne, chilli jam, cucumber and rocket, $10.

I bet everyone's surprised that I ordered a vegetarian dish. 

The black bean patty was really good- The patty was different: it had a dhal-like taste to it and like Jason's, it was crispy and soft at the same time. The chilli jam reminded me so much of sambal from back home, so I got a hint of home in the burger.

I loved how their burgers (the two we ordered, at least) came with brioche buns as opposed to the usual burger buns. It kinda gave it a little more 'stability' to the burger, if you know what I mean. 



Plates wiped clean. Indication that the food there was pretty good, I'm sure? 

This is the first time I'm doing this, but I've got a scale now! For, y'know, fun. Maybe I should name it. 

Food: 7
Coffee: 7
Ambience: 8
Value: 8
Staff: 6

I'll post up the scale criteria another time on the sidebar. I've gotta study for my test tomorrow. I can't believe the month's flown by to quickly. Before we know it, it's gonna be a new year again..

i need to start working out properly and stop eating junk :(
may.

No comments: