Friday, October 19, 2012

Getting naked ...espresso.

I've heard about Naked Espresso many times, and I've seen it once or twice when walking to Hardware Lane along Little Bourke. Decided to give it a try on a Friday morning, since it isn't open on weekends.

Naked Espresso Bar
390 Little Bourke Street
03 9670 3569
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naked-Espresso-Bar/173148329414285

Mon - Fri, 7am - 4pm
Naked Espresso Bar on Urbanspoon


It's a very small café and it might be a little hard to spot if you don't pay attention to your surroundings or look up for the signboard. It's just a shop or two away from the intersection of Little Bourke and Hardware Lane.



I've been seeing La Marzocco machines in so many of the cafés I've been to. This one in particular was gleaming and shiny. Aunt Petunia (Harry Potter's aunt who's been rumoured to have OCD) would've been proud.



I like the look of the glass cloches, displaying pretty sweets under it. Adds a little bit of character to the place.



The menu is rather limited, and I was surprised the bagels that everyone was talking about wasn't on it. Maybe the menu changes by the day. I should've asked. Hmmm. The pricing was quite reasonable as well.


Soy latté, $4.40.

The price of my coffee threw me off a little cause I usually pay about $4 at most. At first, the coffee tasted bitter and I didn't like it. But after a few sips, the bitterness went away and the taste of the coffee got better with every sip. I think it was just the bit of créma on top with the froth that gave out the bitterness.


Double espresso, $3.90. (Proud Mary, Guatemala San Jorge)

The espresso was really good. It came with an equal portion of sparkling water, probably to cleanse the palette after sipping on such a strong taste. One tiny sip, and you get a massive explosion of coffee flavour. I may not be very patient when it comes to drinking my coffee, but I'd be willing to slow it down just for this.


Tabasco baked eggs, $10


For $10, this was actually pretty good. Cheese, eggs, and a mixture of different types of beans at the bottom, distinctly layered. I liked how they called it Tabasco eggs, yet they give their customers the choice of how much Tabasco they'd like by giving a bottle instead of just drizzling a set amount.



Toasted sourdough bread would've been a better choice though. Something as soft or gooey as baked eggs should have a bit of a crunch, just to add a different texture to it, as opposed to soft-ish white bread.


Porridge with coconut, apricots, dates and currants, $9


By porridge, of course, they mean oats. I had a taste too, and we both loved the dates in the dish. The apricots didn't seem to add any taste, and the taste of the coconut didn't seem to come out in comparison to the amount. Iryan reckons the taste of the currants was shadowed by the sweetness of the dates. The milk added a bit more flavour to the dish too.

Overall, the food was pretty okay. Not something I'd repetitively go on and on about. The coffee was good too, but it was on the pricier side. We both loved how the food was so well presented: on wooden chopping boards, good choice of colours, etc.


Thanks for following me out again! It great to have so many people around me who love food and coffee so I can get more input. 

Food: 6.5
Coffee: 7
Ambience: 8
Value: 6
Staff: 7

afor two internships: same company, different countries. fingers crossed!
may. 

No comments: